Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:13:24 +0100
From:      Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: native recording of all network connections on freebsd

--------------UIWKljjd19Yx81xeL1gh6a3v

W dniu 29.12.2022 o 02:58, Damjan Jovanovic pisze:

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dan Mack <mack@macktronics.com> wrote:
>

>     I'm wondering if anyone can help point me at a good way to
>     continously
>     capture every inbound and outbound connection made to a freebsd
>     system.
>     I'd prefer a way that is native in base if possible.   I don't
>     really want
>     to record all the packets, just the src:dest:rport:dport stats.
>
>     Happy to RTFM as well,
>
>     Dan
>

> Another possibility is to enable Netflow in ipfw (there is an
> ipfw_netflow service), which submits periodic reports of all
> connections made and their data usage, and then collect and process
> the Netflow data using a Netflow server.
>
> Or develop a custom Netgraph service that examines packets and logs
> connections. This would even work in the absence of any firewall.

Such a node exists: ng_netflow(4) and works flawlessly.

--
Marek Zarychta

--------------UIWKljjd19Yx81xeL1gh6a3v

  <head>
  </head>
      Jovanovic pisze:<br>
cite="mid:CAJm2B-mq3=8YOY9vgKPYxFDENRkwsWXmqLnvWPc36pXjn4ejAA@mail.gmail.com">
            PM Dan Mack &lt;<a href="mailto:mack@macktronics.com"
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">mack@macktronics.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
            I'm wondering if anyone can help point me at a good way to
            continously <br>
            capture every inbound and outbound connection made to a
            freebsd system. <br>
            I'd prefer a way that is native in base if possible.   I
            don't really want <br>
            to record all the packets, just the src:dest:rport:dport
            stats.<br>
            Happy to RTFM as well,<br>
            Dan<br>
            is an ipfw_netflow service), which submits periodic reports
            of all connections made and their data usage, and then
            collect and process the Netflow data using a Netflow server.</div>
            packets and logs connections. This would even work in the
            absence of any firewall.</div>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Marek Zarychta</pre>

--------------UIWKljjd19Yx81xeL1gh6a3v--