Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:31:35 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

What large company needs more than 16 million IP numbers available in the
10.X.X.X RFC 1918 range?

No, don't answer that, I'm just baiting you. :-)  But, I am also using it
to point out that a large number of these "urgent network design issues" as
you call them are really _interconnection_ problems _between_ companies.
For example, BigCO#1 running 10.X has a serious problem interconnecting
to BigCO#2 who is also running 10.X numbers.

Now, you and I know what Cisco's answer to these sorts of problems are -
feed 'em more NAT.  As in, double NATTing on a Cisco router between both
companies.  Pretty ugly solution of course, but it does work.

We have been able to avoid these situations with the BigCO<->SmallCO
interconnections because we merely renumber SmallCo out of BigCo's
private range.  Most big companies seem to like using 10.X numbers
and it's easy to put the smaller company into 192.168.X.  Thus, the
routing between them is normal, and even if you do use NAT in the
interconnection, it's the more _normal_ many-to-one or many-to-many
not the double-NAT stuff.

But, as you say, yes, it's a serious problem with interconnecting two large
organizations that are both privately numbered.  I guess my answer to that
is, well, those big organizations have the deep pockets to make
double-natting work, and if it doesen't work for their particular protocol,
well then they go back to Cisco and force Cisco to make it work.  I think
it's pretty rediculous
to make everyone else change just because a handful of Fortune 100 companies
have problems interconnecting to each other.

Fortunately, so far the IPv6 vs IPv4 deployment argument has been kept
fairly low key, and as most big companies haven't even made the buyoff
on IPv6 at the current time, it's still merely an issue of a bunch of
networking engineers out there attempting to propagandize the big
companies into signing onto the IPv6 bandwagon.  I suppose that eventually
they will do it, and we will have many large commercial organizations
that convert over.  But, I maintain that at that point, the IPv6
people are going to hit a roadblock that will be much harder to pass.

Sure, if you can get the Fortune 100 to switch to IPv6 your going to be
able to get NetGear and LinkSys and the rest of those folks to add IPv6
support into their microcode.  But, by then there's going to be millions of
the current models of those devices deployed, and as I attempted to say in
my
other post, getting those small organizations to switch over is going to
be far more difficult.  And if you can't get them converted, then the ISP's
that they all plug into won't convert either, and the IPv6 deployment
project will start to resemble a huge catfight.

In fact all this has got me thinking - we have feed contracts coming up for
renewal, I think I'll insert a clause mandating that Internet access
must be presented in IPv4 for as long as the contract term.  I'll see if
we get any engineer screams from the feed suppliers, that will give me a
good indication of what their feelings are, and it's always fun to throw in
a few monkey wrenches.