Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:24:14 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'Chuck Swiger'" <cswiger@mac.com>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SO_DONTROUTE, arp's, ipfw fwd, etc

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:33:50PM -0500, Don Bowman wrote:
>               [client]
>           --------------------------
>           | Load Balancer          |
>           --------------------------
>            |                       |
>            |                       |
>       [Redirector1]         [Redirector2]
>             \                     /
>              \                   /
>              ---------------------
>                  |        |
>                [BSD1]   [BSD2]
>                  |        |
>                  -----------------------------
>                   | | | | |         | | | | |
>                 Telnet servers(A)   Telnet (B)
>
> Thanks for the input, keep it coming! Talk me down from this ledge :)

Well, if you really don't want to jump, just break the switch between
the redirectors and the BSDs into two crossover cables, so redir1 talks
only to BSD1 and redir2 talks only to BSD2.  You have equal immunity
to single failures, no obscure failure modes, and no need for custom
kernel stuff.  I'd bet anything that actually observed availability
would be better, not worse, because of the decreased chance for
interesting bugs taking the whole complex down.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.