Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 12:07:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, terry@lambert.org, smp@csn.net, james@westongold.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: maptable of SuperMicro P6DNH

> >> Seriously, the MP boards are typically *better* than the UP boards
> >> because they have more hurdles.  The UP boards *should* jump the same
> >> hurdles -- it would make for faster UP boards, for one thing, and
> >> faster generic OS code, for another.  I'm surprised there isn't a
> >> push for this from MS on the basis of NT... heck, maybe there is?
>
> And it would make the hardware more expensive.  And people wouldn't
> buy it.  Then you would have SCSI and IDE in motherboard designs.

And then they'd move it into the "board chipset" ASIC's.  And then,
since silicon real-estate is silicon real-estate, no matter if you
encode shiity designs or good designs in the dopant, it will cost the
same per square millimeter for bot good and bad hardware.

And then people will buy the good hardware.

And we will all live happily ever after.

Why does everyone think "better" means "more silicon".  If programmers
thought you had to go bigger to get better, then we'd have... well,
MS-NT and USL-SVR4.  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org