Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 01:42:00 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Eric Hake <eric@clean.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Fouled connections?

> Greetings!
>
> I'm having trouble with my user ppp installation for some reason...
>
> 1) I can get it to connect just fine with the following line:
>
>     ppp -alias -auto pmdemand
>
> 2) Once I am connected, I can transfer from each of the machines on my
> 'mini-network', and it all works great -- just like it is supposed to.
>
> 3) After anywhere from 5 - 25 minutes later, the connection seems to foul
> up -- leaving the modem connected, but not allowing any data to flow from
> my side to the ISP...
>
> 4) If I kill the connection and restart it, I go back to step one until it
> fouls up again...
>
> Here's my 'ppp.conf' file:
>
> default:
>  set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP tun command
>  set device /dev/cuaa0
>  set speed 115200
>  disable lqr
>  deny lqr
[.....]

Try enabling lqr instead.  It'll allow ppp to detect the dead link.

The only thing that can really be done is to get your ISP to tell you
why their ppp implementation is choking.  It's possible that there's
a problem with user-ppp, but nobody that's reported this sort of
problem has been able to get a log from the peer :-(
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;