Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:10:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), wollman@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: pseudo device lkm's broken

> Yes, this is a pardigm shift.  It means that drivers and file systems
> and anything else that is expected to be loadable or linkable as an
> option to the kernel build must have a single entry/multiple consumer
> interface with callback registration.  Anything that places itself

I'm no kernel hacker, but this seems like a serious win even to me.

So, given that the interdependency set between LKM and kernel is even
smaller with this, do you think there's any chance of us being able to
remove ld from the equation at some point?  It would be nice if the
kernel could load them directly, without requiring a user mode program
to run interferance first.

					Jordan