Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 14:02:17 +1000
From:      Simon Lai <simon@synatech.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RSS=245Mb with 256MB of RAM?

Hi,

I am running 4.3-RELEASE on a machine that is dedicated to running
a simulation program.  No other users use this machine.  Its tasks
are to compile and run a simulation that has a large tree.  The
path taken down the tree is governed by some data and is generally
random in nature.  The size of the simulation process tops out at
around 245 MB, but the system starts swapping before the RSS gets
that far.  I should add that every 5-10 minutes the sim writes out
2.5Gb of data, to a sequential file on disk.

Physical RAM is 256MB.

I seek any asistance in tuning this machine so that I can
run a 245 MB process without swapping.  To reduce system
memory usage I have -

1.  Killed off all unnecessary services.  Besides the kernel
    processes, the only things running are gettys, portmap
    inetd, adjkerntz, syslog and cron.

2.  Eliminated all unused device drivers in the kernel,
    and removed NFS, CD file systems etc ...  maxusers
    is set to 3.

I notice that top shows a 35M buffer - can I constrain this
somehow? Also the 38M Wired figure, obviously the buffers
are part of this, what about the remaining 3M?

I have turned on the H flag in /etc/malloc.conf - how
does this help?

All suggestions appreciated.

regs

simon

ps. FreeBSD is rock solid - this machine often swaps
for hours when unattended but it has never crashed.