Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 10:59:49 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

From my extremely limited (and somewhat unsatisfactory) experience in
attempting
to coerce X into a functional state, I see the problem as more of a
hardware rather
than a software issue. Whilst there isn't any question that making
things more
straightforward software wise is a_very_good_thing,  there does appear
to be
something lacking in the videocard detection routing. Its been
suggested by some
that this is is more of an XFree rather than a FreeBSD issue, and
although I can
see the logic in this argument I'm certain that many raw newbies would
fail to
understand the distinction.

I'm flat out like the proverbial lizard drinking for the next week or
so, but I'll have
a poke around the XFree & linux docs sometime and hopefully come up
with something
I can kick into shape for a submission to docs

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > Jordan and others have tried many times to get people to submit
good,
> > newbie-friendly "default GUI environments", with close to zero
> > community response.  Yes, it would be a good idea, SOMEONE PLEASE
DO