Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:00:20 +0100
From:      Jan Pechanec <pechy@hp735.cvut.cz>
To:        Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupidfs - easily extensible test file systems?

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Erez Zadok wrote:

	Why I'm interesting in this is that I would like to do
something on this as my final work at university. I don't want to
include my changes in any OS like FreeBSD or Linux, the work is not
intended to be so vast.

	Maybe I would like to use Minix, it has no VFS etc. so I am
free to change what I want and the changes won't be so expensive as
they would be in FreeBSD, eg. I would like to try to separate fs into
really small layers, ie. UFS can be devided in three layers (disk,
inode, dir layer). I am not sure whether it is possible in an
efficient way, but I want to try it. I can invent VFS-like interface
that would be extensible etc. etc. I know that no of these changes
most probably won't appear anywhere, but this is not my goal. I'm just
interested.

	Please, could you comment whether you think it is worth the
effort of not?

	thank you, Jan.

--
www.civ.cvut.cz, pechy.civ.cvut.cz, tel: +420 2 24352969 (fax: 24310271)