Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:38:53 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problem with bsd.port.mk

While working on some cross-compiler ports I was following "Chapter 17.
Automate package list creation" in the porters-handbook.  The command
that causes the problem is:

make depends PREFIX=/var/tmp/port-name

The gcc or gcc+newlib port depends upon ld and as in binutils.  However,
make depends PREFIX=/var/tmp/port-name installs ld and as in
/var/tmp/port-name/bin, but when returning to building gcc or gcc+newlib
the ld and as aren't found becuase PATH is still pointing to LOCALBASE.

It was suggested that either make depends install into LOCALBASE or the
PATH be updated to include PREFIX.  And I was asked to submit a PR.
Before I do that I would like an opinion on which is correct?  I would
think that updating the PATH is proper.

Jim
--
Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.