Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:41:38 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> >> How do I know how to enable the emulation?
> >
> > At install time, when it asks you about it.
>
> I didn't want it then.  I want it now.  How do I know how to enable
> the emulation?

Well.  Let's establish some grounds for this bickering.  Are you a competent
user, with an ability to learn for yourself, and perhaps a little background
with Unix?

If No, then exit here, go to your nearest Klone retailer with your
computer, and get them to install W95 on it.  And go away.

If Yes, then open your mind, and try putting a constructive lean on your
criticism.

> >> How do I run the program?  Just start it by name?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Aha.  Where can I read that?

"which ibcs2" is something that immediately comes to mind.
For those that have spent a little time with the system, "locate ibcs2"
tells you a lot more.

> >> Do I need to say "ibcs2 vi", or will it be enough just to write "vi"?
> >
> > Do I need to type "run foo" or just "foo"?
>
> I don't know.  What's foo?

In context, an executable.  Being childish doesn't help - see "No" above.

> >> I tried vi with the SCO version and got:
> >>
> >> === root@freebie (/dev/ttyp0) /allegro/usr/sco/usr/bin 16 -> ./vi
> >> Abort trap
> >
> > It apparently won't run.
>
> Why not?

Because "abort trap".  Followed by mail to hackers@freebsd.org with some
salient details (which SCO vi, etc etc), and possibly a response with
some helpful advice.  Or at least an improvement in your understanding of the
problem.

I'd guess, in context, that it's looking for shared libraries, and not having
much luck.  What does "file vi" have to say?

> > You are now typing things at random.
>
> People tend to do that if they can't find the documentation.

This is akin to "people eat things at random because they don't know what
they are".  Go to "No" above, and make an appointment with your local
casualty ward.

> /usr/src/sys/i386/ibcs2, but it doesn't have a Makefile.  There's a
> directory /usr/src/lkm/ibcs2, but the program there does nothing more
> than load an lkm.  Anyway, what do you think Joe would say?

He would say "what's the number for tech support"?  And any one of us
that have iBCS2 stuff working would have an answer for him im minutes.

> > And let me tell you, a simple (or even a complex) man page will sure
> > as hell not cover it, especially without doing what Linux did and
> > supplying our own IBCS2 shared libraries, etc.
>
> Why not?  Because of a dislike of man pages on the part of the person
> who should be writing them?

How about "what do you expect for what you paid for it"? or "do you want
to be a part of the solution, or an unrelated problem"?

> As I said, speak for yourself.  If I release software, I document it.

That's nice.  Writing manual pages for an experimental moving target comes
under the heading of "makework", as far as I can see.

> Now here's the first statement with which I can agree.  Fine, except
> that I didn't know that (it didn't say that in the man page).  Still,
> a minimum of documentation would help even at this stage.  So, what
> remains to be done?

8) I think that counts as a "Yes".  First thing to do is to talk to
Steven Wallace, current keeper of the iBCS2 code, about his current
stage of development. Then, I'd hit the mailing list archives for
-hackers and -current (at least) and pull out everything relevant to
iBCS2, and see whether there's enough material for a FAQ addition, so
that people who're in your situation can get past the initial stumbling
blocks.

Then, if you're in the enviable position of having access to useful SCO
binaries, installing and testing them, and possibly commenting on the
installation process would be handy, and muchly appreciated.

Steven is swallace@freebsd.org. The code in -current is _significantly_
better than the code in -stable, but obviously still not there.

I can _almost_ run dBase 8(

> Greg

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[