Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:00:56 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From:      Chen Xu <xu@stentor.bu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Build custom kernel -- really strange

Hi all,

I installed FreeBSD2.2.7 from CD and XFree86 3.3.2 from the same
CD, system and x server both were running fine.  However, I am
having a strange problem when building my own custom kernel. The
reason of doing it was originally to enable iso3 becasue my modem
sits in COM4. I followed the handbook 5.2 -5.5, the first two
steps 'Config' and 'make .depend' went well, but at the step
'make' strange thing happend: no matter how I change the setting
in my new kernel configuration file, set say MYKERNEL, it stopped
with the message

-----------------------------
compiling messages
*** Error code 1
st.o: undefined symbol "_scsi_..." referenced from text segment
cd.o: something similar to avove line
dpt_scsi.o:
if_cs.o:...

stop.
------------------

At first, I thought it was just I did wrong thing in configuration
file MYKERNEL. But even I changed everything back to exact the
GENERIC -- I just copy GENERIC to MYKERNEL with only one line
change

	ident  	MYKERNEL

then I do make again, it STILL give me the same result???!! Does
that mean even GENERIC config has something wrong? I don't belive
that's case. But since I installed my system everything has been
runnig fine. I am really puzzled.

what's wrong with this and how to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Chen