Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 03:55:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alan Eldridge <ports@geeksrus.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        knu@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/41467: latest portupgrade prevents make arg -DNO_IGNORE from working

>Number:         41467
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       latest portupgrade prevents make arg -DNO_IGNORE from working
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical

The newest portupgrade does a 'make $MAKE_ARGS -V PKGNAME -V IGNORE' before
trying to build the port.

The effect of this is that if you pass -DNO_IGNORE in make args, you still
cannot build the port because portupgrade cuts you off at the knees first.
(NO_IGNORE does not *unset* IGNORE, it merely negates its effect.)

It is not portupgrade's business to stop me from making a port with IGNORE set.
The code that does this should be removed. Checking the make args for NO_IGNORE
would not be sufficient, because it could be in /etc/make.conf, too.

FWIW, the -v option should show matches in pkgtools.conf for things, and should
also show make invocations. It would have made finding out why portupgrade was
broken a lot easier.

>How-To-Repeat:

Try to rebuild an installed java/jdk13 with:

portupgrade -f -m '-DNO_IGNORE -DBATCH' jdk

And please don't tell me to just remove the '-DBATCH'; in reality, it's
in my /etc/make.conf, for a reason, and will stay there.

>Fix:

Remove the offending code. Let the port tell you if it isn't going to build.
Please do not try to protect the user by preventing an action that should
(and used to) work correctly.