Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:44:50 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
Subject:   Multiprocessor boards benefit a workstation?

I'm selecting components for a workstation machine and I would like some in=
put.

I'm planning to use an AMD processor (Athlon or Duron) and a Tyan motherboa=
rd.  I have had good luck with my Athlon and Tyan board in my curent mach=
ine.

Question #1: Does an SMP configuration benefit a workstation machine's perf=
ormance enough to justify the costs?  e.g. two of the Athlon MP chips in =
a Tyan multi processor board.

Question #2:I remember seeing a couple of items asking about experiences wi=
th the Athlon in an SMP configuration.  The Questions mailing list archiv=
e does not seem to be available so I cannot search it.  What are the expe=
riences with the Athlon MP systems?

TIA for any insights.
Cheers...
Try not.  Do or do not.  There is no try. -- Yoda