Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:50:05 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

>> Well, hobbyists and savvy bang-for-the-buck may take 32 over 64 if the
>> bang isn't there, but nowadays that is far from the entire market of
>> purchasers.  You're overlooking the status symbol buyers who just have to
>> have the latest/greatest and/or something better than the guy next door.
>> I recall a conversation not long ago with a sysadmin in the business
>> school here.  I was asking what their typical laptop configuration was
>> and was told that some members of their faculty were quite particular
>> about finding out what their colleagues machines had and then making
>> sure theirs was more/better/faster, etc.  I highly doubt this kind of
>> purchasing only happens here.  :-)
>
>	Good point.  I know it happens, but is it the majority of the
>market?

Who knows?  But what's so important about being a majority?  There's
plenty of money to be made in selling to a significant market share
that doesn't numerically constitute a majority.  Besides, there's
much greater mark-up potential in the status symbol market than the
bang-for-buck market.  Just ask Nike...

-Mitch