Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 2002 02:40:32 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crash with network load (in tcp syncache ?)

Michal Mertl wrote:
> This patch fixes the panics for me. Thanks a lot. I believe it should be
> commited.

I agree (Mark Murray -- this was the patch I was talking about).

> BTW: I get about 850 fetches pers second on UP an 600 SMP (the same
> machine and settings). Don't know if it's expected in this usage pattern.

It's expected.

"Fetches per second" isn't a very good benchmark, FWIW.  It doesn't
tell us how to repeat it.

A better measure is connections per second (at least for a server
box).

With proper tuning, and some minor patches, 7000/second isn't hard
to get.

If you add the Duke University version of the Rice University patches
for LRP, modify the mbuf allocator for static freelisting and then
pre-populate it, and tune the kernel properly, you should be able to
get over 20,000 connections per second.  The best I've managed with a
modified FreeBSD 4.2, before the SYN-cache code, was 32,000/second.

Use "MAST" or "http_load" on a number of simultaneous clients to get
in the neighborhood of those numbers.

-- Terry