Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:18:15 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reducing the need to compile a custom kernel

Quoting Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info> (from Tue, 14 Feb
2012 10:49:56 -0200):

> On Tue, February 14, 2012 08:31, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>> Embedded devices are out of the scope of this, normally you do a lot
>> of other modifictions to such systems anyway, so a custom kernel
>> should be not a big problem.
>>
>> I will also not touch the dual-stack part of the kernel config (it
>> shall still allow the generic purpose computing like the GERNERIC
>> config).
>
> I'm really curious why, if they are the piece of hardware that
> usually are worse to compile things
> on, for access issues to poor hardware (great to compile
> kernel+world on i7, pain to do so in my
> net5501-70).

Typically embedded environments have a different goal regarding the
kernel, than a normal server/desktop. In an embedded sytem RAM and
disc space may be very limited and as such you need to get rid of a
lot of things you want to have in a server kernel. A server is also
some kind of generic purpose device, whereas an embedded system is a
special purpose device. If we do not know the special purpose of the
device, we can not provide a suitable kernel for it (a NAS has other
requirements than a router, firewall, WLAN access point or multimedia
system).

Regarding the compile time issue you talked about: cross compiling a
world/kernel is supported by FreeBSD.

It may be not a bad idea to provide examples of special purpose
kernels with FreeBSD, but this is a completely different topic I (as
the thread started) want to discuss in this thread about the work _I_
want to do and need input from the community for. You are off course
free to open a new thread to discuss the kernel-config of special
purpose devices.

Bye,
Alexander.

--