Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:59:45 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large system backups; recommendations for devices & strategies?

We're running amanda onto a DLT7000 and are very happy.  We're
currently backing up around 35GB of data from 16 systems (mix of PCs
running FreeBSD, Suns, and a NetApp filer).  Given that the DLT7000
can hold maybe 70GB compressed and that amanda will stagger full dumps
when needed, we have plenty of room to grow as long as we don't create
too many huge file systems.

The only problem, if you can call it that, it providing data fast
enough for the DLT7000, which can write to tape at upwards of 7MB/sec.
We use two 9GB drives ccded together to provide a dump staging area
for amanda, allowing it to run dumps in parallel.  This would be less
of an issue if we didn't have a few old 10Mb ethernet Suns.

Everything works entirely automatically.  All I do is change tape once
a day.  We used to use amanda on a Sun feeding two Exabyte 8505XL,
which didn't work half as nicely.  Apart from anything else, the DLT
is a much nicer drive.

Alan