Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:11:20 +0000
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   XEN i386 with PAE and zfs, trouble?

Hey there,

I've been asking these questions to the wrong list! Just found the xen =
list, so I'll recap here.

I want to run amd64 on xen, at a VPS hosting provider. Due to cost =
constraints the sweet spot in the cost/memory ratio has given me a =
provider who will only support a "ops_pv" kernel. This means that XENHVM =
on amd64 is not available to me.

The VPS provider will be giving me at least 6 gb of ram, and I want to =
run ZFS on the instance. This leaves me considering running the i386 =
kernel and relying on PAE to get access to the extra memory. I presume =
that I'll lose about 1.5-2gb of RAM to ZFS tuning, and hope that means =
that I'll have 4gb(-ish) available to userland processes.

Is this a sensible assumption? Can I rely on this being a stable =
configuration, or am I high?! :)

Thanks,
Joe