Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:17:48 -0700
From:      "Jonathon Moldenhauer" <jonmoldenhauer@gmail.com>
To:        "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: headset support

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Maksim Yevmenkin
<maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon,
>
> >  I have searched back through the archives here and there is discussion about
> >  FreeBSD and headset/handsfree profile support.  I have seen several comments
> >  that "the code is about the be committed" so I am wondering what the status
> >  really is.  If any help is needed I would be willing to test and/or work on
> >  code so that this feature can be brought to the FreeBSD platform.
>
> first of all what exactly do you need to support? do you have any
> specific usage scenario in mind? i have had code to support isoc
> transfers in ng_ubt(4) (a must to support bluetooth audio) and
> bluetooth sco sockets for quite a while. i was planning to commit it,
> but then i changed my mind. with the code i have, i can transfer raw
> audio data, but what to do with the raw data is the next big question.
> do we need to somehow plug into sound subsystem? something else?

I have a couple different scenarios in mind but the primary one I want
is compatibility with asterisk's chan_mobile.

Asterisk's chan_mobile talks directly to the SCO channel without using
any audio resources.  It uses the socket api to create a
socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_SEQPACKET, BTPROTO_SCO) and then bind's and
connect's to the src/dst bluetooth addresses.  All communication is
then done simply with read/write calls.

Asterisk's chan_mobile also uses rfcomm to talk to the
headset/handsfree profile of the device that it wants to transfer
audio with and I have been able to confirm manually that I can connect
using rfcomm_sppd on FreeBSD to the headset and handsfree profiles of
my phone and issue AT commands and get responses back.

Having the bluetooth capability in the audio system might be nice but
I think just getting the data to userland would enable applications to
be developed that accomplish this.  It would also enable other usage
scenarios, such as chan_mobile.

If you already have code that does the SCO part in both the driver and
the socket API, what do I need to do to test it out and see if it
accomplishes compatibility with Asterisk?

Thanks,

Jonathon