Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:03:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crusoe TM5800 support

[ Please keep me in the Cc; I'm not subscribed to -questions. ]

I've recently acquired a new laptop with a Crusoe TM5800 CPU in it.  I'm
trying to determine the optimal kernel configuration for this machine
and the docs appear to be lacking in this area.  I initially built a
kernel with all _CPU options but I686_CPU diked out.  The kernel failed
to boot so I went back to GENERIC and found out that it actually shows
up in dmesg as an I586 class CPU.  I've now got a kernel built which has
all of the default _CPU options back in it and that's running fine.  I
also built a new world for the thing earlier today and both the current
world and kernel running on it were built with CPUTYPE=i686 in
/etc/make.conf.  If I am to interpret the dmesg correctly then this CPU
should not support the i686 instruction set but it doesn't seem to be
suffering from any i686 specific optimizations.  In fact, I just built
the XFree86-4 port plus all dependencies using the -march=pentiumpro'd
kernel and userland and it worked just fine.

Does anyone know definitively whether this thing supports the i686
instruction set and if so why dmesg reports it as an i586 class CPU?

dmesg snippet:
CPU: Transmeta(tm) Crusoe(tm) Processor TM5800 (730.44MHz 586-class CPU)

OS version:
[bandix@taran ~]% uname -a
FreeBSD taran 4.6-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE-p2 #1: Wed Jul 17
16:07:22 CDT 2002     root@taran:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TARAN  i386

Thanks,

Brandon D. Valentine
--