Date:      17 Mar 1999 14:15:35 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sa0: <HP T4000s 1.06> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:27:27 -0800 (PST), Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> said:

Matthew> I have to report that I've been terribly confused about this
Matthew> device. *I* don't have one, and I've been dependent upon some
Matthew> folks to give me information I can use about it. I was under
Matthew> the impression that it is a QIC device. I find out that I'm
Matthew> quite wrong on this.

What can I do to help? I've got one of these, an HP T4000s. It uses a
"travan TR-4" tape from Imation which holds 4-8GB depending on
compresseion. It's basically a QIC, some sites call it QIC-wide I
think, and I believe TR-4 may have a QIC-#### designation.

Below are a couple descriptions of TR-4 and the HP T4000 drive. If you
need a victim to try drivers on, let me know. I'm running 3.1-STABLE
now.

(I've also got a Achive/Connor/Seagate Python 4xDDS2 juke I wanna put
through it's paces with your drivers :-)

From http://www.travan.com/products/data/content/subindex/0,1085,1117,00.html

    ... With uncompressed capacities ranging from 400 MB to 4
    GB, Travan products give you the capacity you need to handle the most
    demanding applications -- today and tomorrow.

    The key to higher capacity is the unique Travan cartridge design,
    which holds a longer, wider tape that can store more data within the
    standard 3.5" form factor.

    Based on proven QIC technology

    Any time you store data, reliability is key. And it's not often that a
    new technology offers a history of reliability. The Travan family
    does. It's based on Quarter-Inch Cartridge (QIC) technology -- the
    preferred backup solution for millions of computer users around the
    world.

    Easy to use

    Backing up with high-capacity Travan cartridges is simple. They can
    easily hold the entire contents of a hard drive. And since
    Travan-compatible drives can read QIC minicartridges, your existing
    backup library is still useful. For maximum security, Imation
    recommends that you back up your data every day.

A search on HP's site turns up:

    Hewlett-Packard Company today announced a portable, external version
    of its HP Colorado T4000s 8GB QIC tape drive. The new drive, the HP
    Colorado T4000es, combines Travan minicartridge technology and SCSI-2
    performance with support for DOS, Windows, Windows 95 and Windows NT
    operating systems.

    Using latest-generation Travan technology, the HP Colorado T4000es
    expands minicartridge capacity to 4GB native and 8GB compressed using
    Travan TR-4 minicartridges. With its SCSI-2 interface, the T4000es
    significantly increases backup speed compared to previous-generation
    minicartridge drives. Its 514KB/second burst SCSI data-transfer rate
    is approximately four times faster than floppy-interface systems,
    providing typical backup speeds of 25MB/minute to 35MB/minute on
    Pentium systems. Using a typical Pentium system, users can back up a
    1GB hard drive in about 30 minutes to 40 minutes.