Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:48:15 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade questions

Hello,

I'm trying, at long last, to upgrade my ports (including Xorg) on my
clunk old 6.2-RELEASE system.  I know that I probably should have done
this long long ago, but I have two things working against me:  I'm lazy
and I'm ignorant.  In particular, although I have been using FreeBSD
for years, I've never really messed with ports, except for occasionally
building and adding one, every now and again, when I found that I
needed something that wasn't already present on my system.  So port
upgrading is kind of a mystery to me.  I've been reading about how
to perform proper port upgrading, just now, and trying to educate myself
about the process, but I confess that I'm still quite ignorant.  So
please take pity on me and answer juat a few of my basic questions.

First, a short while after I started up "make index" in the /usr/ports
directory, I received these messages:

Generating INDEX-6 - please wait../usr/local/bin/python2.5: not found
"Makefile", line 43: warning: "/usr/local/bin/python2.5 -c "import sys; print sys.version[:3]"" returned non-zero status

Could somebody please tell me... What do these messages mean, and do I need
to worry about them?

OK, next question... The 20070519 note in the /usr/ports/UPGRADING file
says "If your machine does NOT have any gstreamer ports installed..."
OK, so excuse my ignorance, but how the bleep am I supposed to know if
I have any gstreamer ports installed?  I don't even know what a gstreamer
port is!

The 20070519 note in /usr/ports/UPGRADING then goes on to say:

	... you can then just run:

	# portupgrade -a

but that upgrades _all_ my ports, doesn't it??  What do I do if I'm not
prepared for that?  What do I do if I want to take this process a step
at a time, and first just upgrade _only_ the Xorg stuff and any other
ports that are dependant upon that stuff?  How can I do _just_ that?

Lastly, the 20070519 note in /usr/ports/UPGRADING also says:

	Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed.  If you do not
	have this meta-port installed with X.Org 6.9, you will miss out on
	a lot of the new X.Org 7.2 sub-ports.

I'm sorry, but these comments are entirely opaque to me.  Can somebody
please lend a hand and explain what all this is actually supposed to mean?
You know...  I mean to somebody like me who isn't steeped in this stuff?

How exactly do I "Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed"?
What are the exact commands necessary to do this and when, during this
whole relatively convoluted upgrade process (and relative to all of the
other commands shown in the 20070519 note), am I supposed to execute the
(mystery) command(s) in question?  I mean do I need to this this _before_
a try to upgrade from Xorg 6.9 to 7.2?  Or just after?

I'm very paranoid about this whole Xorg 6.9->7.2 upgrade process and I'm
really afraid that... bacause I'm so ignorant... I'm going to break things
really badly and in the end find myself stuck with an unusable system.
So I'd really appreciate it if someone could just answer my questions above
so that I can make sure that I'm approaching this whole upgrade task properly.
Thanks.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  OH!  One other thing... I just now updated my ports tree... the first
and _only_ time I've ever done that in my life... using "portsnap fetch"
and "portsnap extract" and then I wanted to see what things I had installed
that might be worthy of upgrading, so I did:

   pkg_version -v

well, THAT didn't work out well at all.  I got a whole raft of errors from
that which mostly looked a lot like this one:

xorg-6.9.0                          <   needs updating (port has 7.3_1)
"Makefile", line 85: Could not find /usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients/../../x11-servers/xorg-server/Makefile.inc
"Makefile", line 92: Malformed conditional (${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM:L} != xorg)
"Makefile", line 96: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

OK, so what is the proper solution to this?  Will the "pkg_version -v"
command not even work _until_ I upgrade my Xorg stuff??  That doesn't
make a lot of sense.  I thought that "pkg_version -v" was supposed to
tell you what needs upgrading, yes?  And this fundamental tool doesn't
even work right until you have _already_ upgraded one package, Xorg,
to the current level??  That sounds like a Catch-22 to me.