Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 01:59:39 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        bag@sinbin.demos.su, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, mishania@demos.su
Subject:   Re: troubles with smp kernel

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if you have corrupt sources?  Another user reports grossly
> unstable system with current CTM sources.  How/where/when did you
> get the SMP sources?

I cvsuped them as of...~24/25/26 of January, with cvsup-file stolen from
~fsmp pages. After that, when all this mailing started, I rebuild
everything once again on ~28.01

> Are you seeing any dying procs, sig10/11s, etc. while it is running?
> Are there any messages when it reboots?  do you have DDB enabled
> in the config file, if not do so.

Sometimes yes, there's some neat announce about catching floating exception
on the console, sometimes it just reboots without declaring the war. Nothing in
syslogd, and this exceptions belong to processor,  - but well, we don't even
touch the machine, just sitting couting when will it be down. Since it's
already 6 processor we steal to check, it is not the faught of it, I guess.
Not that the motherboard/brains are culprits:

{skraldespand}/home/mishania/client-v5> uname -a
SunOS skraldespand 5.5 Generic_103094-04 i86pc i386 i86pc
{skraldespand}/home/mishania/client-v5> uptime
  1:39am  up  4:11,  1 user,  load average: 1.97, 1.99, 1.91

Ah, skraldespand == fyllefrossa, it's the same PC. Not that I am going to bitch
on instability of FreeBSD as opposed to Solaris, - never. What I can see it is
probably already not hardware problem, since all this 4 hours the machine is
up with solaris on board, it's very busy participating in DIC, RSA challange, in
other words is having heavy computations. So, we have working processors,
motherboard, brains, fatherboard (?;-) etc...

Now I can only thank you for making us tune the beast (all these INT, etc), -
now I think I am going to rebuild the SMP tree from scratch, getting fresh
sources. I somehow guess they changed at least a bit in these past weeks?
Ah, btw we now get this RAM PARITY CHECK ERROR back, so... Maybe I can already
issue hints also: somehow there's an idea that 64mb SIMMs don't work with
that ASUS we have (2xppro) ;-) Gotta continue playing construction worker ...

> ---
> We need to put a reference SMP binary onto the web page.  I don't have
> a machine right now,  could someone make an SMPGENERIC and place it
> on freefall?  Please coordinate with me first so we don't have duplication
> of effort...

I can, but it will obviously never work correctly ;-)

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD

Thanks!