Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:16:58 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Secure Shell ssh-1.2.27 is Almost Right but not quite.

	I installed ssh-1.2.27 on a Freebsd-4.3 system and did
not quite end up the way I planned to.

	The Command I gave to configure and build the package was

./configure   --without-x --with-idea; make -s;make install

	It did all those things although it seemed to flounder a
bit in the configure process, but it did not exit and made the
package.  It then installed it and sshd does run.  I would think
I was home free except for one difference between the way ssh
operates on this system versus how it works on three Sums and a
Debian Linux box.

	On all three of those systems, I have installed
/etc/shosts.equiv and a .shosts file in the home directories that
need them.

	The problem is that one still needs a password to move
from this system to any of the others or back.  The
configure and make process actually seems to have built a
slightly different package than automatically built on the Suns
and the Debian platform.

	Has anybody else noticed the problem and fixed it?  The
fix is probably either a newer version of ssh/sshd or a different
configuration for the building of the package.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group