Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:01:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
> >
> > 	Actually, the user interface itself is perfect, if it wasn't
> > hidden inside the Installation interface, and required you to commit
> > to an install in order for it to add your drive...
>
> Yes, that's the way I'd do it too.  It doesn't seem to be too much
> trouble to tear the disk stuff out and make a standalone program that
> didn't also try to install software on it.
>
> > 	...and, as to "what everybody else is using"...as you mention
> > below...how many ppl know about the "wizard" mode that is in 2.0.5's
> > sysinstall?  I found out about it in IRC last night, chatting with
> > Gary and a few others...
>
> Well, I still don't know what it is.  Anybody care to tell us, or do
> you have to be a wizard for that?

	Since its not required in 2.1, its kind of useless to advertise
the feature.  The main problem...it basically puts you into "raw" mode
in relation to your drive, so, if, like with fdisk/disklabel, you really
know what you are doing with your drive, then you are fine...but if that
is the case, fdisk/disklabel will work for you too :)

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.