Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:22:29 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmbclusters=4096 doesn't increase mbufs

#define quoting(mwlucas@exceptionet.com)
// We have a 2.2.8-stable box running IPFilter.  This box keeps runninng out
// of mbufs very quickly.
//
// We have a kernel (full config below) that includes the following lines:
//
// maxusers	256
// options         "NMBCLUSTERS=4096"
//
// This should give us a whole heap of mbufs.
//
// A netstat -m, however, shows us:
//
// scooby# netstat -m
// 136 mbufs in use:
//         130 mbufs allocated to data
//         1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
//         4 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
//         1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
// 128/132 mbuf clusters in use
// 281 Kbytes allocated to network (97% in use)
// 0 requests for memory denied
// 0 requests for memory delayed
// 0 calls to protocol drain routines

  Are you sure you did reboot with this kernel ?

  Even if options NMBCLUSTERS was wrong (and this is not the case),
the default for 256 users is 512 + MAXUSERS * 16 = 4608

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br