Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 01:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_devel port-thing

 * I don't think that staging it would be a good idea.  What I want is
 * basically "fetch this monster tarball" and "extract this monster into
 * /compat/linux".  What I'm not so sure about is which parts of the
 * port process it should attach to.
 *
 * Perhaps :
 *  fetch :	slurp
 *  build :	symlink to distfile in WRKSRC
 *  install :	unpack distfile referenced by symlink

You can have NO_BUILD set and write your own do-install.  Oh, and set
NO_WRKDIR too.  The distfile should be in DISTDIR so no need to create
work/ just for that.

I like this better than having WRKSRC point to PREFIX, if not for
anything the user is not supposed to be root to just say "make"
(unless the port has dependencies that have to be installed, of
course).

And for the package, I'd say no NO_PACKAGE for this one, there are
many folks out there who don't even look at the ports if they are not
packages.  Depending on the space left on the CDROM, I may not put
both the distfile and the package on it, though....

Satoshi