Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:47:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      geoff jukema <gjukema@silk.net>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X & kde : lovin it!

I upgraded my BSD machine recently from the old put-together from useless
pieces 386, to a new Pentium 200.  I did this because i wanted my faster
machine to be FreeBSD with all the goodies; aka X & try out kde.

I was really impressed with how little difficulty X really was.  I ran the
GUI install from the two different options (/stand/sysinstall), and i
clicked around a few tabs and before i could say good-bye microsoft, I had
a running X windows.  I've had much more problems in the recent to not-so
recent past with Windows, so i was rather impressed.
But on this note, there wasn't much going on, so i read a few paragraphs
of various documentation, found out what files to use to configure,
installed a couple of apps off CD without a hitch.

Then came kde.  It looks great and installed just as easy as X.  I
donwloaded the files (after reading some docs on what was required), and
ran add_pkg on it.  All i had to do was add a few things to my path, and
presto!

I guess i don't have much of a point other than to say that if X/kde came
in one easy package that modified specified user paths, it would have yet
another gain over microsoft.

Oh yeah, i was quite impressed that kde found programs like pine, and
other misc utilities i had already installed and put them in some menus.

Geoff.