Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:28:43 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS stalls on Heavy I/O

--Sig_/B2eUcb+W.ufrLFcX9jhdONG

Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 Haz 2012, at 19:34, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Dean Jones <dean.jones@oregonstate.edu=
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  Under heavy I/O load we face freeze problems on ZFS volumes on both
> > > Freebsd 9 Release and 10 Current versions. Machines are HP servers (6=
4bit)
> > > with HP Smart array 6400 raid controllers (with battery units). Every=
 da
> > > device is a hardware raid5 where each one includes 9x300GB 10K SCSI h=
ard
> > > drivers. Main of I/O pattern happens on local system except some smal=
l NFS
> > > I/O from some other servers (NFS lookup/getattr/ etc.). These servers=
 are
> > > mail servers (qmail) with small I/O patterns (64K Read/Write).  Below=
 you
> > > can  find procstat output on freeze time. write_limit is set to 200MB
> > > because of the huge amount of txg_wait_opens observed before. Every p=
rocess
> > > stops on D state I think due to txg queue and other 2 queues are full=
. Is
> > > there any suggestion to fix the problem ?
> > >
> > > btw inject_compress is the main process injecting emails to user inbo=
xes
> > > (databases). Also, those machines were running without problems on
> > > Linux/XFS filesystem. For a while ago, we started  migration from Lin=
ux to
> > > Freebsd
> > >

> > > http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=3Dic3YepWQ
> >=20
> > Looks like you are running dedup with only 12 gigs of ram?
> >=20
> > Dedup is very ram hungry and the dedup tables are probably no longer
> > fitting entirely in memory and therefore the system is swapping and
> > thrashing about during writes.
> >=20
> > Also ZFS really prefers to directly address drives instead of RAID
> > controllers.  It can not guarantee or know what the controller is
> > doing behind the scenes.
> > You might want to read http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2011/07/zfs-dedup=
e-or-not-dedupe and see if you need more ram.
> >=20
> > And yes, having raid below zfs somewhat defeats the point of zfs.

> That was one the machines, i'm running several similar machines except fe=
w changes. For examplw some of them have 50gb and 20gbs of ram and some of =
them has direct access every disk itself on poil as you suggested ( pools i=
ncluding 24 disks) some of the machines also running p812 hp raid cards (1g=
b cache ) , every hp card has battery unit. Every machine wheter rumning on=
 50gb ram or pools with lots of disks have the same stall problem except on=
e of them which is using hp p6300 san with fc connection . It's running zfs=
 without problems. Do i have to suspect on ciss driver which is common on a=
ll machines where problems occur ? Wheter they use 6400 or p812 raid cards =
all of them  is using same ciss driver except the one connected via fc to s=
an.
>=20
> Btw when zfs stalls after 1-2 minutes later it contiunes to write and rea=
d as usual.=20

Do the stalls get shorter if you decrease kern.cam.da.default_timeout?

Fabian