Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:30:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Norbert Meissner <norbert.meissner@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc:        "Meissner, Norbert" </O=MERCEDES-BENZ/OU=STUTTGART/CN=Hauptverwaltung/cn=Personen/cn=xzbs372@daimlerchrysler.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum: strange behaviour and other things

On Thursday, 23 September 1999 at 16:53:51 +0200, Norbert Meissner wrote:
> <....>
>> 1. When I create a mirror volume a lot of error messages appeared
>> about that one plex is faulty.
>
> How many?
>
> Because Outlook is doing strange things with
> long lines, i've attached the log as a separate
> file.

You really need to reconfigure your Outlook.  My text above wasn't
quoted.

> BTW: I've found that the vinum 'out of the box' is configured for 4
> drives, 4 volumes, 8 plexes and 16 subdisks.  If I want more drives,
> volumes, plexes and subdisks, is it possible to simply increase this
> values in vinumvar.h and recompile?

No, this is not correct.  These are initial allocations.  If you reach
them, they are automatically increased.  I suppose it's time to
suppress the information about "configured", since it's of no interest
to anybody.

> Does this have any affections in the speed of vinum?

No.

> vinum -> create -v mirror.cfg
>    1: drive d1 device /dev/da1e
>    2: drive d2 device /dev/da2e
>    3: volume mirror
>    4:   plex org concat
>    5:     sd length 512m drive d1
>    6:   plex org concat
>    7:     sd length 512m drive d2
>    8:
> vinum -> list
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:         2 (4 configured)
> Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:         2 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)
>
> D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1e        Avail: 522/1034 MB (50%)
> D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2e        Avail: 1551/2063 MB (75%)
>
> V mirror                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        512 MB
>
> P mirror.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
> P mirror.p1           C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
>
> S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
> S mirror.p1.s0          State: reviving PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
> vinum -> start mirror
> mirror is already up
> vinum -> start mirror.p1
> Reviving mirror.p1.s0 in the background
> vinum[32191]: reviving mirror.p1.s0		(WAIT TEN MINUTES)
> vinum -> vinum[32191]: mirror.p1.s0 is up
> vinum -> list
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:         2 (4 configured)
> Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:         2 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)
>
> D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1e        Avail: 522/1034 MB (50%)
> D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2e        Avail: 1551/2063 MB (75%)
>
> V mirror                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        512 MB
>
> P mirror.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
> P mirror.p1           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        512 MB
>
> S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB
> S mirror.p1.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        512 MB

Looks good to me.  Should I have noticed something?

Greg