Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 20:09:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@internet.dk>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        jahan <jahan@pc.jaring.my>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Web hosting

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Cliff Addy wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 1998, jahan wrote:
>
> > Can any country can host different countries web server ?

Yep. Some danish companies are getting a Samoa-domain registration,
because the tld for samoa is "as". "as" is also the danish translation of
"inc". A company called "jensen a/s" (jensen inc.) can this way get the
domain "jensen.as"

Nice as a marketing gimmick, but ruins web-statistics.

> > For example, can  a server in SomeCompany.com.ca host SomeCompany.com.fr
> > ? using  BIND & FreeBSD servers.
>
> Yes, our company hosts sites from about a dozen country codes.  The
> hardest part is getting the foreign NIC to point the domain record to your
> servers.  France, by the way, is the worst.

Is it also difficult if the french division of the company applies for the
domainregistration, and provides french names and adresses. Is it then
checkked where the two nameserver records resides?

Or else, apply through a french ISP, so they host the domain record, which
points to your site.