Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Gary Thorpe" <gat7634@hotmail.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Larry McVoy's slides on cache coherent clusters

:I think this ties in to Mr. Lambert's question about the future of FreeBSD
:very much. I think the NUMA model will eventually dominate all future large
:systems in the next 10 years (and SMP will come to be standard on small
:systems) and FreBSD will probably have to run efficiently on them to compete
:with Linux etc. Having seemless clusters (by this I mean clusters that work
:as a single system with one system image and identity) would probably be a
:an interesting problem also, since only a few OSes have made any serious
:attempt at implementing them. PVM, MPI, and MOSIX cannot for example migrate
:I/O among machines (network load balancing maybe?).

    Well, I'm not so sure.  I think partitioning will come to dominate all
    future large machines in the future.  They may well be NUMA, but NUMA
    will be relegated to the role of being simply a faster communications
    medium.  We will certainly see cache-coherent shared memory across
    the network used in major ways (we see primitive versions of this now)
    because their relative costs will be cheaper then NUMA (and will always
    be cheaper then NUMA).

    The distinction is important from the point of view of OS design.  Even
    in NUMA systems the difference between local and remote memory is too
    great for a non-deterministic implementation (which is essentially what
    Linux has) and does not mesh well with the uniform cache architecture
    implemented by Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc... most modern OSs.  The natural
    conclusion is to partition instead and develop more formalized,
    deterministic, network-transportable mechanisms for sharing data
    that can be abstracted out using mmap().

    NUMA then becomes just another, faster transport mechanism.  That is
    the direction I believe the BSDs will take... transparent clustering
    with NUMA transport, network transport, or a hybrid of both.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>