Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:12:26 -0500
From:      dieterbsd@engineer.com
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TTY task group scheduling

Alexander writes:
> One thing that just begs to be asked: since when decoding 1080p became
> an interactive task?

Normally, decoding video would not be considered an interactive task,
unless you are doing things like stepping through frame-by-frame.

Playing video, and/or audio is a true real time task.  The computer
must perform the work at a specific rate, not faster, not slower.
Recording video and/or audio is also a true real time task,  If
the machine/OS drops the ball you have a spoiled recording, and most
of the time you can't try again.

Bruce writes:
> you
> can have a load of 100 or more before the system becomes unusable
> whereas people are amazed to see loads of more than 15 on Linux.

The load average leaves much to be desired as a metric.
I have generated an obscenely high lead average while retaining
great responsiveness, and done a simple "cp /disk1/file1 /disk2/"
resulting in the machine taking *minutes* to respond to the simplest
command.

Andriy writes:
> Well, I am not sure if I can agree about CPU-bound-ness.
> Depends on the exact video file, of course, but certain high-quality=20
1080p are
> very CPU intensive unless decoding is offloaded from the CPU. =20
Depends on
> decoder code too.  I had some videos that were CPU-bound on my Athlon=20
II X2 250
> with then-version of mplayer from ports.

The bitrate is more useful than saying "1080p".  The speed of the CPU is
important, the codec, the efficiency of the decoder, whether parts can=20
be
offloaded to a GPU or hardware decoder, if the output is being scaled,=20
etc.
If playing a video maxes out the CPU, then the video isn't going to be
displayed correctly.