Date:      Mon, 8 May 2006 17:58:34 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai "IOnut" Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Bill Fenner <fenner@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Unfetchable distfiles reminder

--Sig_eUdMS50Kp2T_MOC4=qhAQ_X

On Mon, 08 May 2006 09:27:23 -0500
Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:

> Bill Fenner wrote:
> > Dear porters,
> >=20
> >   This is just a reminder to please periodically check the list of
> > unfetchable distfiles at http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/ .
> > In particular, the list of ports with no MAINTAINER with distfile
> > problems, which currently has 203 bad ports, is
> >=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/ports@freebsd.org.html
> >=20
> Rather than a list of ports with unfectchable distfiles and no=20
> maintainer, this appears to be a list of every port.
>=20
> Is the link incorrect?  Or am I doing something wrong?

All ports are there with the status for all MASTER_SITES (plus WWW).
The bad ones are in red.

> > Since no one is responsible for these ports, the problem won't get
> > fixed unless someone on this list takes the initiative.
> >=20
> >   In addition, the list of all ports with any unfetchable distfile is
> >=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/portsurvey/bad.html
> >=20
> I tackled a few of these yesterday, but all of them had maintainers.  (I=
=20
> did seven, but one turned out to have already been done.)  Some of them=20
> were pretty simple.  Some I declined to do because they required=20
> extensive patching.  Are maintainers notified when their ports don't work?

Yes :) How fast they react is an other matter :-/

> I'd rather tackle ones without a maintainer, if I can get a valid list.=20

/me (and jmelo) are your biggest fans for this kind of PRs, please CC
one of us on your PRs.

>   If the port doesn't have a maintainer and the software is no longer=20
> available (I used both Google and searching around at the master site to=
=20
> try and locate where the software had moved to), what should we do?=20
> Mark the port as DEPRECATED and let the committers decide on an=20
> EXPIRATION DATE?

I'd say mark it DEPRECIATED if we have all DISTFILES on our ftp, if not
BROKEN. You can suggest an EXPIRATION DATE yourself.

--=20

BOFH excuse #125:
we just switched to Sprint

--Sig_eUdMS50Kp2T_MOC4=qhAQ_X