Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:20:47 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl5.8 and Perl5 installed ... use.perl ... ?

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 06:05:26PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If I install both perl 5.6 and perl 5.8, how can I switch between
> using one or the other?  I'm guessin taht installing one after the
> other will overwrite the previous use.perl script ... ?

Not only that, but also /usr/local/bin/perl will be overridden.  As much
as I hate to say it, there are currently no good provisions for both 5.6
and 5.8 to co-exist on a FreeBSD system (if you use the ports
collection, that is).

> might it be a better idea to have a use.perl5.8 vs use.perl5.6 script
> installed instead?

The eventual plan is to do something like this (or maybe make a separate
use.perl port which will understand '5.6' and '5.8' as an argument and
be required by all lang/perl5* ports).  But since the actual amount of
changes required is much larger than just that (in particular, the
proper scheme must account for the possibility to install various p5-
ports which use either 5.8 or 5.6 without file- and package-space
conflicts), I do not see this happening any time soon.

If you or anyone else feels like trying to tackle this task, be my guest
- patches are always welcome!

Cheers,
=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |