Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 10:36:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
Cc:        Anthony Chavez <magus@magus.users.xmission.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rms runs FreeBSD? (was: RWS)

On Saturday, 16 September 2000 at 17:49:32 -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 at 13:38:33 -0600, Anthony Chavez wrote:
>> Looks like RWS is going to be in town (Logan, UT) next Tuesday,
>> advocating GNU/Linux and autographing.  I'm half-tempted to go
>> wearing one of my many BSD t-shirts and ask him to autograph my copy
>> of McKusick's book.  Unfortunately, I don't have the balls. :-)
>
> I'm sure you mean RMS :-)

I think he would probably autograph it for you, along with some
comment that you'd rather not have in that book.

>> Anyone got any good ~serious~ questions that I could ask him, or ways
>> to advocate BSD in a ~positive~light~ in such a situation?  I don't
>> want to piss on his presentation, but I would like to at least get
>> people interested in BSD as an alternative.
>
> Ask him why www.stallman.org runs on FreeBSD ;-)  That provide some
> interesting conversation.
>
> See http://www.netcraft.com/whats/?host=www.stallman.org for the facts.

  www.stallman.org is running Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) on FreeBSD

Fascinating.  Yes, I'd like to hear his response to that question,
too.

My rms story: at the AUUG winter conference in September 1998, I went
to a Stallman Emacs tutorial.  He was late (which is normal enough;
expect him to be late at your event as well), and while we were
waiting I went to my hotel room to get my laptop.  When I came down I
found Stallman standing in the empty lobby, looking lost.  I took him
to the tutorial, where he unpacked his old, mouldy laptop out of an
even older, mouldy plastic bag, and discovered he had left the power
supply behind.  He ended up using my laptop, running (of course)
FreeBSD.  At the time he was quite complimentary about FreeBSD, saying
that it was, after all, free software, and that it was just a pity
about that dreadful license.

Greg