Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 07:56:07 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        nnd@gw.itfs.nsk.su, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ep and ie drivers conflict (?)

> >> It seems to me that problem is in 3COM's 'ELINK_ID_PORT'
> >> or 'EP_ID_PORT' (0x100) which is used in both ep and ie
> >> drivers. (Is it right that probe order of devices follows
> >> their order in config file ?).
> >
> >The order of probing of ID_PORT may be any (as it looks to me).
> >IMHO the problem is that the ie driver doesn't do any checks for
> >manufacturer ID nor product ID and erroneuosly identifies 3c509
> >card as its (but i'm not shure about this diagnosys).
>
> It doesn't identify the 3c509 as an ie device, it just spams the
> 3c509 and I guess the ep driver does not do enough to resurect it.

Agreed. But did you applied the last patch I published ? It contains a change
in the initialization procedure made by Steven E. Piette that should help
(at least it allows to recover after DOS drivers).
I can't try it because I have no -current now.

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia