Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 01:04:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modems ... :)

> What if they have one already?
>
> We need to understand that most of the world still uses Microsoft.
> They buy their hardware based on whether they can use it with
> Microsoft.  Often the hardware is supplied.  9 times out of 10, if
> somebody wants to buy a winmodem and finds that it doesn't work with
> FreeBSD, they'll ditch FreeBSD, not the winmodem.

Yeah.. but I think a majority of people are smart enough to NOT buy a
winmodem, if given the choice. Of course there are vendors who probably
supply this modem and the person doesnt know about it before hand..

But if a driver could be written for FreeBSD for this modem, it probably
should be, as much as I hate it. :)

> Having said that, of course I agree with you.  Winmodems are junk.
> But that's not the issue, and I maintain that it *is* possible to get
> them to work with FreeBSD.  Recall that for a long time we took a
> similar stance on ATAPI CD-ROMs.

Does a Winmodem work on anything OTHER than Win95? I think its sad a
vendor needs to make a piece of hardware for a specific OS, just to cut
costs on an already el cheapo device...