Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 14:44:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
Subject:   Re: BSDInstaller snapshot

Before adding some of my own user interface critiques, I wanted to mention at
the top of the e-mail that I'm very pleased the BSD installer work is going
on, it's well overdue!  Onto a few minor criticisms :-).

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Rostislav Krasny wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/bsdinstaller_install/16.png

I'd like to see the partition type here simply be "FreeBSD".  "Drago" is
likely to confuse, and Dragonfly actually uses the FreeBSD type, rather than
it being the Dragonfly type.  See further comments below on slices and
partitions.

> http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/bsdinstaller_install/24.png
> http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/bsdinstaller_install/25.png
>
> I think the word "formatted" on the second screenshot should be changed to
> "created", because fdisk doesn't format partitions/slices.

I tend to agree.  While there is some benefit in using the DOS/Windows
vocabulary, I think it's better to use the same vocabulary as found in
existing FreeBSD documentation, including the handbook, man pages, printed
books, etc.  In these dialogs, the device names should also be specifically
mentioned.  Note that "Primary partition" is a confusing term -- I'm not sure
what it means, actually :-).

> http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/bsdinstaller_install/22.png
> http://people.freebsd.org/~julian/bsdinstaller_install/26.png
>
> Does BSDInstaller support installtion on multiple slices or multiple
> physical disks? Sysinstall supports it.

While I recognize the goal of providing a useful mapping to user-aware
notions, such as "partitions", I find the message in this dialog confusing
even as someone who in theory knows something about the topic.  Despite the
limitations of calling fdisk partitions slices in sysinstall, at least it was
done mostly sort of consistently :-).  I'd like to see the installe
consistently refer to "fdisk slices" and "bsd partitions", and avoid using the
words "slice" or "partition" in isolation.  A dialog to explain slices and
partitions before the editor might be appropriate.

Robert N M Watson