Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:02:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        usebsd@free.fr, n@nectar.com, drosih@rpi.edu, rizzo@aciri.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: [kernel patch] fcntl(...) to close many descriptors

>     It doesn't solve anything.  Besides, there is no such thing as a
>     perfect hash ... at least not one that has a small enough index range
>     to be useful in a table lookup.  And, again, no real reason or need
>     to do such a thing.  The kernel syscall is hardwired because it is
>     the defining interface between userland and kernelland, and hardwiring
>     it gives us the best, longest term stability in regards to portability.
>     We don't need to pollute it with fancy algorithms that we may decide
>     we have to 'adjust' every year or two.  One of the reasons why binary

i do not get the problem. The search key passed to the kernel would
be just a string, just like open() and sysctlbyname() calls handle.
And, this mechanism would be explicitly used for "non portable" or
experimental functions (such as the closeall() which started the
thread, or next time someone comes up with a start_http_server_thread())
and avoiding overloading an existing syscall or having to modify
libc would be beneficial in terms of code clarity (you know what the
thing is going to do) and portability.

	cheers
	luigi