Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:14:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        tomthai@future.net (Tom T. Thai)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN

> 1. If I had a BRI line and a TA attached to it, the TA can only handle
> one B channel at a time right? If yes, then would I be wasting the 2nd B
> channel if one of my users use only one B channel at a time?

It depends on the TA. For example the Zyxel Omni TA128 has two serial
ports, you connect each one to a serial port on your terminal server
and use both channels at 64K (that's what I do, I have an Omni connected
to a Cisco 2511, but am currently replacing this setup with a Livingston
Portmaster 3).

> 2. If I had the same setup as #1, and a user want to do 128K (both B
> channels), do I have to setup anything special on the RAS?  Or can I
> setup to handle the dynamic link automatically via the TA?

The Omni (and I guess other TA's as well) can handle this automagically
so it looks to your terminal server just like a fast (128K) modem.

> 3. What is a good TA if I want to do 128K on the server side to a smart
> multiserial RAS?

Zyel Omni TA128 (am I repeating myself?). But make sure to download
firmware version 2.04 from ftp.zyxel.com, otherwise it will probably
fail every day and you will have to turn it off :(

--
Blaz Zupan, blaz@amis.net, http://www.amis.net/staff/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia