Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:03:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@onizuka.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major bogon in tcp_wrappers port.

Mark Murray wrote:

> > You're right, I'd vote for it as well.
> > On the other hand ... how much overhead does it bring ?
>
> Not much. Physically, the files are not big. They do not take
> much time to compile. They _do_ add some latency to your daemon's
> startup, except in the case where the app is linked against libwrap.
>
> (Sendmail has such hooks, so does ssh (and I believe cvsupd as well?))

Uh, I tought this was a joke...

Why should we move tcpwrapper to the base system ? I can't see an
advantage here.
tcpd is an easy "plug in" and one of it's "advantages" is that you just
have to change inetd.conf - no compile-time changes.

It's harder to configure hosts.{allow,deny} then changing inetd.conf.

> > Every time when an inetd related service is being started,
> > the (of course small) tcpd program has to be executed.
>
> Sure. You can configure your system suchg that the wrappers are not
> used, if you prefer.

Aeh, that's why we have the ports tree. If something is really optional
and you just have to change a config file why should it be moved to
the base system ?

> > And ... which inetd related server programs do we want to
> > protect, only some or all ?
>
> Negotiable. I kinda like the idea if two files - inetd.conf.dist and
> inetd.conf.wrap.dist, and some install option to choose one.

We don't need to have tcpwrapper in the base system to provide an
example config file.

confused

 -tb