Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:09:46 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Persuading ssh -X to work from a RasPiOS system

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:32:07AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> You could try "ssh -vvvvvX user@freebsdhost" and see if there are messages about X11 forwarding.

Ahh, that gives a hint, maybe:

ssh -vvvvvY user@freebsdhost
[long list of authentication negotiations]
debug1: Authentication succeeded (keyboard-interactive).
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 1
debug3: send packet: type 98
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug3: ssh_packet_set_tos: set IP_TOS 0x10
debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
debug2: channel 0: request pty-req confirm 1
debug3: send packet: type 98
debug1: Sending environment.
debug3: Ignored env SHELL
debug3: Ignored env COLORTERM
[long list of environment variables ignored]

There is nothing I recognize as an error among the
authentication negotiations, only absence of files
needed for things other than keyboard-interactive.
Since that works, it's unclear why the various env
variables are being ignored.

It appears that ssh -X behaves exactly as ssh -Y,
at least to visual inspection. As I read them, the
man pages seem to imply -X should no longer work,
but -Y should behave exactly as -X once did. Am I
mistaken on this?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska