Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:23:45 +0200
From:      "Vlad GURDIGA" <gurdiga@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bpf kernel module

Hello,

I'm trying to keep very close touch with 6.1_STABLE cvsupping sources
once a week or even more often. I'm thinking of removing as much as
possible devices from the kernel loading them from /boot/loader.conf
instead, so I could rebuild and install them without a whole
kernel/world rebuild and reboot when sources change. I'm not sure this
is a correct way, any piece of advice regarding this would be highly
appreciated. :)

So, I've successfully done that with sound and network card drivers,
but did not succeed with removing bpf from the kernel. Booting a
kernel with no bpf support, and with
ng_bpf_load="YES" in my loader.conf, the pflogd fails to start with this error:

Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Failed to initialize: (no
devices found) /dev/bpf0: No such file or directory
Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Exiting, init failure

And, tcpdump also fails saying that "no suitable device found". Of
course there is no /dev/bpf0.

Is there any way to have the bpf0 device without booting a kernel with
bpf device included?