Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:08:42 GMT
From:      Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is ant good for?

I've been reading the "tools" discussion, and all I use is emacs,
jdk, and Netscape for reading the on-line documentation.  The only
change I'm tempted to make is to start using ant.

But every time I've looked at anyone's ant script (is script
the right word?), it's seemed alarmingly complex.

So I'm wondering whether ant does anything that would make it
worth the effort of learning to use it.

Does it, for instance, work out the dependencies between files
to determine what needs to be recompiled and what doesn't?

-- Jeff