Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:13:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Hans Petter Bieker <hanspb@persbraten.vgs.no>
To:        Sumit Gupta <sumit@tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a Networked MPEG Player for BSD?

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Sumit Gupta wrote:

> Is there any application for FreeBSD available that can display
> an MPEG stream over a network ie have a server part playing it
> out and a receiver receiving it from the n/w and playing it out?
> I need to use/develop such an application. Any pointers, comments,
> suggestions etc would be extremely appreciated.

Try this: (the player runs on the remote machine, you'll have to hack it
if you want the player to run on the local machine. On the other hand you
don't want to run it on the local machine if you have a slow 10 Mbps
ethernet.)

rplaymp3:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright 1998 Hans Petter Bieker
# All rights reserved.
#

# set some defaults
host=localhost
port=7654

set -- `getopt h:p: $*`
if [ $# -le 1 ]
then
	echo "usage: `basename $0` [ -h hostname ] [ -p port] filename..."
        exit 1
fi

for i
do
        case "$i"
        in
                -h)
                        host=$2; shift; shift;;
                -p)
                        port=$2; shift; shift;;
                --)
                        shift; break;;
        esac
done

exec cat $* | perl /usr/share/examples/printing/netprint "$host" "$port" || echo

rplaymp3d:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright 1998 Hans Petter Bieker
# All rights reserved.
#

port=7654
buffer=1024
volume=100

set -- `getopt b:p: $*`
#if [ $# != 0 ]; then
#	echo "usage: `basename $0` [ -b buffer ] [ -p port ]"
#	exit 1
#fi

for i
do
        case "$i"
        in
                -b)
                        buffer=$2; shift; shift;;
                -p)
                        port=$2; shift; shift;;
                --)
                        shift; break;;
        esac
done

# forking into background
(
	# the daemon itself
	while true; do nc -lp "$port" | amp -qb "$buffer" --volume "$volume" -; done

	# this loop should never exit
	exit 1
) > /dev/null 2>&1 &

exit 0