Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 10:45:48 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Permissions Question

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

* Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au> [20010510 09:33]: writing on the subjec=
t 'Permissions Question'
Chris> Just a quick question.....
Chris>=20
Chris> If I want to enable a user to have full file permission over another=
 users=20
Chris> files & directories, what would I have to do ?
Chris>=20
Chris> Basically, there is a user created on the box to house someones virt=
ual=20
Chris> website. This customer has employed another person to design and mod=
ify=20
Chris> their site on the server but they dont want him to know their userna=
me &=20
Chris> password.
Chris>=20
Chris> So what I want to do is, create this guy an account on the box, but =
setting=20
Chris> it so that he can modify, delete, move, create & upload any files an=
d=20
Chris> directories in their user directory, all from his FTP client, logged=
 in as=20
Chris> himself.
Chris>=20
Chris> I remember reading that someone did this by modifying the /etc/group=
 file=20
Chris> but I couldnt find any info on how this can be done.
Chris>=20
Chris>=20
Chris> Any suggestions ?

I would go ahead and create the user. After that I would give him access
to the directory in question by

chown username:groupname directory

After that (with my FTP setup where you are not allowed to descend the
directories above yours) I would cd to the user's new directory and make a
symlink to the other directory. I haven't tested this but I have a feeling
it should work.

D=3D/here/is/the/old/directory
adduser wash
cd /home
chown -R wash:user $D
cd /home/wash
ln -s $D Company_files

Now if wash FTPs, he can also cd Company_files and do whatever he wishes,
including rm ;-)

Of course I stand corrected - I haven't tested this.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

The primary requisite for any new tax law is for it to exempt enough
voters to win the next election.

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--