Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:52:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

On 20-Aug-99 Brett Glass wrote:
> I looked at the man page for xntpd once, and walked away (well,
> VIRTUALLY walked away) scratching my head. It was totally opaque.
> There was no simple information about how to synchronize with the NIST
> every so often; also, it appeared that one needed to leave a large,
> expensive daemon running all the time. So, I went with ntpdate, which
> was simple and easy to understand (and which got out of the way after
> it adjusted the clock). The system with the worst clock drifts no more
> than 5 minutes every 12 hours -- and that, I suspect, is mainly due to
> busy-waits with interrupts off in the ATAPI driver.

Simple xntpd:

# echo "server    time.nist.gov" > /etc/ntp.conf
# echo "driftfile /etc/ntp.drift" >> /etc/ntp.conf
# echo "xntpd_enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
# echo "xntpd_flags=\"-c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/xntpd.pid\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
# xntpd -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/xntpd.pid

This will suit most people.

However, you should also have ntp in your syslog.conf and /var/log/ntp.log
should exist. See the syslog.conf(5) manpage, read about "facilities".

Xntpd is not that difficult. Unlike ntpdate, it can update your system clock
while also acting as a time server for your local network, reducing bandwidth
costs (yes, minimal, if you have a very small network, but still worth time and
money.) It is also more reliable and far more featureful than ntpdate (hey,
encryption compensation!).

As for "large, expensive daemon", that is incorrect. xntpd barely takes 1MB of
total RAM on my machine, and usually close to zero CPU.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>