Date:      06 Oct 2002 22:50:43 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Congrats to Brett Glass for new BSD history article

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:

> swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen) writes:
> > Though the B.S.D. long contained (some) "free" Berkely code, I don't
> > think it's fair to try to get people to consider the B.S.D. as having
> > initially been free, even if it was licensed to some schools for no cost.
>
> BSD was always free.  It started out as a distribution of free
> software (not a complete OS) which IIRC included a Pascal compiler, vi
> and curses, all written at UCB and 100% free.  It didn't become an OS
> until a few years later.

Quotes snipped out of context a couple of weeks later can be embarassing.
I'm suprised that I said "initially" instead of "always", as I distinctly
remember acknowledging the possibility that B.S.D. was, for a short time,
not a complete OS (eg, just patches, etc.) and asking if anyone knew.

Anyway, "a few years" is consistent with this item from
http://comp-hist.sourceforge.net/comp-hist-0.9.2.html#1bsd

    1BSD
    Type : OS